The Interesting Late 60s & Early 70s

After I moved to New Haven CT in 1973 the first thing I needed to do was get a job. I see I have to back up a little...

I'd had a good job while I was living in Bridgeport prior to 1973; I worked in the Classified Display Department of the Bridgeport Post-Telegram newspaper (the Telegram being the morning paper and the Post the evening paper).

I got that job by being willing to quit college after my sophomore year. The money was good; the job was probably better than one I would have been able to get after 4 years of college.

Once I had a good job, I immediately moved out of my parents' home in Fairfield, CT. I rented a rather crummy house in Bridgeport with three other guys I knew from college--the University of Bridgeport, where I had been majoring in Graphic Design. The house was near what was in those days called the Beardsley Park Zoo in the North End. So now I was heading off to work every days wearing a tie and a pressed shirt--but with hair spilling down past my shoulders.

I was getting high whenever possible, as well, and learning how to play guitar. I was writing a lot of songs, and a couple of local bands performed them, as well as a singer-songwriter or two. I hoped to make a career out of music, seeing as how my artwork wasn't really going anywhere, although my technique was improving. My writing was still pretty amateurish -- although I was getting better, I was still a few years from selling my first short stories.

I had been in a pretty decent band, the Hillbrand Rarity, and with this band I played my first paid gigs. We commonly opened gigs with one of my own songs. The guys I was playing with -- John Hare on guitar and lead vocals, Brad Labrot on lead guitar and vocals, and Tom Walsh on bass -- were good musicians. But I was soon to find more success in New Haven.

However, I am getting ahead of myself a little. I'm going to close this entry with a photo of the Rarity from 1968, and a recording taken from a show we played at Cathedral Girls High School in Bridgeport, CT, in 1969.


That's me in front, Tom Walsh behind me, Brad Labrot behind him, and John Hare at the top. I was 18 years old, as was John; Tom and Brad were 16.

Here's the Cathedral High song -- Flying Diane, copyright 1969 John Hare. That's John on vocals and rhythm guitar, Brad on lead, with Tom Walsh and I making up the rhythm section. Not very good sound quality, but hey -- not bad for a 52-year-old amateur recording.

Flying Diane

This next recording is a few years later, and dates from when I was living in Bridgeport near Beardsley Park. I was writing better songs. This one, tentatively titled The Decision, is from an aborted rock opera, and is an alternate take that demonstrates all too well how a recording can get all screwed up. I'm on percussion The other musicians were my three roommates at the time: Barye Phillips on guitar, Joe Mato on bass, Jerry Milbauer on percussion. I am playing acoustic guitar. The whole thing starts to go south at about the 2 minute mark. Copyright 1972 A.L. Sirois. At least the production values are higher.

The Decision - Take 800

Next time I really will talk about the mid-70s and so on. I sell my first short story, discover sf fandom, get married, join better bands, and become a professional comic book artist.

Comments

  1. Hi, Al... love the music. Lots of interesting info from long ago New Haven/West Haven (where I also dwelled, and met you and the NH SF Club or whatever it was called. And the late, dear Ms. Deborah Atherton (also very talented person from the New Haven area). Met you guys again 2009 in Manhattan when I was at the International Thriller Writers' bash near Grand Central Terminal. Ah the memories that come sailing back at us across time...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #2 - Short and Sweet

I Had a Good Week

Blog Post #1; Just what the world needs: another blog!