A Week Passes Like... I Dunno, a Week?

You'd think I'd have a better handle on this blog thing by now. And I might, if it weren't that I have stuff to do and my computer is giving me hassles. The stuff to do includes a difficult illustration, and trying to get paid by a publisher, and dealing with heat, and the bloody cat wants to play catch. Sounds like your basic life, doesn't it?

A magazine I have sold a couple of stories to seem to be folding, which is never something I like to hear. It's not as if that hasn't happened to me (or scads of other writers) before. I can count at least ten markets I've submitted/sold to over the years that have gone belly-up. Actually, the number is probably more like 20.

I suppose I sound grumpy but I'm really not. It's Father's Day, and although I haven't actually seen my  daughter in about 4 years, we keep in touch. She lives in Brooklyn, NY, and that's a long way from North Carolina. Plus she is busy with her career, and has just moved into her first solo apartment... and then there was this whole business with the pandemic. Grace and I are just starting to see other people in our social group aside from our good friend Val Neiman, who has been part of our "pod" since the beginning. A couple of Grace's sisters were here visiting a month or so ago, and that was good, too. Our friend John Marcus also visited from up in Pennsylvania. We have plans to spend a few days at the beach later this year, and as this month marks our 11th anniversary, we want to go away for a couple of days to celebrate that.

I have made no progress on the cover for Before Baker Street, and one reason for that is that I have decided to seeif I can sell it to Readict. They seem interested, so I'm putting the cover art on hold for now until I see if they'll pick the book up.

Speaking of Readict, two of my books are now available on the app: The Bohemian Magician and Time-Lost High.

Aside from that, I've been reading An Introduction to Hinduism, as well as some science fiction both old and new (Edgar Pangborn, Greg Bear, Robert Heinlein). The Hinduism book is something of a slog, but it's an interest of mine for a number of reasons.

Side note -- the way werewolf romances sell, I should write one of the damn things.

And with that... 



Comments

  1. You can't go wrong with werewolves and vampires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad but true, apparently. If I REALLY want to make a big sale, I'd write about a billionaire werewolf who falls in love with a sexy vampire.

      Problem is, I doubt I could do it, because I'd be laughing too hard.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #2 - Short and Sweet

I Had a Good Week

Other Early Writing Influences