A Slight Sense of Justice - and the Winds of Time

This has been quite a week. It's now been shown that the Blue Wall of Silence may be developing some cracks. I do hope so, because I think it would be good for our country if that were to happen/ Then again, I am not holding my breath.

I have been doing a little artwork for a change, on a freelance basis. It's nice to get back to it, even if only temporarily. Otherwise I've been hacking away at a short story and submitting finished ones. A couple of my wife's sisters are coming to visit for a few days beginning this coming Friday, so there has been much cleaning of the house and sprucing up of the yard. Otherwise things proceed apace.

Of late I have been feeling the shadows of my life growing longer. There have been mental shifts and upheavals as I plan for the next few years of creative effort. How much will I get done? I want to get back to painting, but that requires a certain mind-set that I haven't managed to work my way into just yet. God knows what sort of dog's breakfast of stuff I'm going to leave behind. Like so many creative people, I have explored many avenues but haven't succeeded in making a well-marked map.

I hope I get another life or two to sort it all out. The most I can reasonably hope for in this one is another 20 years, and right now I don't feel like I have a handle on it. Planning an end-game to this life I've led is a daunting thing. I have things I want to do, yes; I want to revise some of my earlier novels; I want to complete at least one trilogy; I want to paint. So far I've been pretty lucky with my health despite some blips (stroke, seizure, undiagnosed vascular issues).  One wonders how long one's luck will hold.

I can hear the wind-chimes in the neighbors' yard. It's a windy night, and the temperature is supposed to dip into the 30s -- chilly for a spring evening in North Carolina. We have a small garden in a bird bath: petunias, verbena, and pansies, along with a lovely old brass statuette of the elephant-headed Hindu god Ganesha, a meaningful deity to me. I lugged the plants in to protect them from the cold. That bird bath weighs about 40 pounds, but I'm not letting those blooms get frost-bit.

And to close, here's a photo of my little bird bath garden, with Ganesha overseeing his kingdom. He's hard to see, but he's in there.

Ta for now.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #2 - Short and Sweet

I Had a Good Week

Blog Post #1; Just what the world needs: another blog!